- Our CEO
- Advisory Council and Committees
- Organisational Structure
- Planning and Accountability
- What We Do
- Careers at ARPANSA
- Contact Us
- Corporate Publications
- Freedom of Information Requests
- Public Interest Disclosure Scheme
- Site Map
- Payment Methods
- Senate Order Entity Contracts
- File Listing
For more information please get in touch with ARPANSA
- Phone Number+61 3 9433 2211
- Fax Number+61 3 9432 1835
- email ARPANSA
What we do
Established by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Act 1998 (ARPANS Act), ARPANSA commenced operations on 5 February 1999. ARPANSA replaced the Nuclear Safety Bureau and Australian Radiation Laboratory. Our strategic objectives are:
- Protect the public, workers and the environment from radiation exposure
- Ensure radiological and nuclear safety and security and emergency preparedness
- Promote the effective use of ionising radiation in medicine
- Ensure effective and proportionate regulation and enforcement activities.
ARPANSA provides the Australian Government and community with:
We build and maintain expertise in measurement of radiation and assessment of health impacts, including the assessment of risks and responses to radiation emergencies.
We provide high quality advice to the government and the community on issues related to exposure and effects of radiation, radiation protection and nuclear safety.
We use our licensing powers and work with Commonwealth entities to ensure the safety of radiation facilities, using a risk-informed regulatory approach.
- Best Practice
We lead the development of codes, standards, guides and advice to support radiation protection and nuclear safety throughout Australia, and play a prominent role in relevant international organisations.
We offer high quality services for the purpose of protection against the harmful effects of radiation.
We undertake research and development, and build strategic partnerships with relevant national and international academic and research organisations.