- Radiation Basics
- Radiation and Health Fact Sheets
- Electricity and Health
- Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) Literature Survey
- Mobile Phones and Health
- Mobile Phone Base Station Survey 2007 - 13
- ARPANSA Environmental EME Reports
- Reporting a Health or Safety Concern
- Radiation Protection Websites
- Radiation Emergencies
- Australian Radiation Incident Register
- Electromagnetic Radiation Health Complaints Register
- Survey of Residential Power Frequency Magnetic Fields
- Radiation Protection of the Patient
- Wi-Fi in Schools Measurement Study
For more information please get in touch with ARPANSA
- Phone Number+61 3 9433 2211
- Fax Number+61 3 9432 1835
- email ARPANSA
Product Warning - Scalar Energy Pendants and Health
Wearing a Scalar Energy Pendant will increase your radiation exposure
Download Product Warning (PDF 360 kb)
Scalar energy pendants are an alternative medicine product. The manufacturers of scalar energy pendants state that the pendants are made of volcanic materials and make claims of a number of health benefits, including improved circulation, improved stamina and improved flexibility. Similar pendants may also be labelled as quantum energy or quantum science.
What is the hazard?
ARPANSA has confirmed the presence of radioactive material in these pendants, in particular the naturally occurring radioisotopes of uranium‑238 and thorium-232. These pendants emit alpha, beta and gamma radiation. The alpha particles are mostly absorbed within the material and pose no threat to the health of the wearer. The beta particles from pendants worn close to the body will only penetrate a short distance into tissue, and will be mostly absorbed in the skin. The gamma particles emitted will penetrate over a large area of tissue.
ARPANSA has assessed that the whole body radiation dose to an individual wearing one of these pendants is likely to be low. The estimates of dose are considerably less than doses received by the Australian population from radiation found naturally in our environment.
However these products, in particular wearing pendants continuously, have the potential to give an elevated skin dose due to beta radiation exposure, and limiting exposure should be considered.
What should you do?
ARPANSA advises consumers that these items contain naturally occurring radioactive material that can result in additional radiation exposures that offer no established evidence-based benefits.
If you still wish to wear or use one these products it is advised to limit your skin dose via beta radiation exposure, by:
- limiting the time you are in contact with or wear the product
- increasing your distance from the product
- wearing the pendant over clothing.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from Adobe's website