- About Regulatory Services
- Import/Export Permits
- Information for Licence Applicants
- Information for Licence Holders
- Regulatory Guides
- Regulatory Forms
- Transport of Radioactive Material
- Holistic Safety
- State & Territory Regulators
- Security of Sources
- International Best Practice
- Radioactive Waste Disposal and Storage
Licence Holder Forums
ARPANSA conducts regular forums with stakeholders as a means of sharing useful information about changes to regulatory practices, the inspection program, compliance issues, as well as highlighting good practices.
ARPANSA Licence Holder Forums 2015
This year ARPANSA held two licence holder forums - one in Sydney on 16 June and one in Melbourne on 18 June. These forums provided an opportunity for licence holders to meet with ARPANSA staff and other licence holders to share experiences and discuss issues of regulatory interest or concern. Licence holders also had a chance to meet the head of Regulatory Services Branch and Chief Inspector, Mr Jack Dillich.
There were two keynote speakers at each forum – Dr Stephen Koukoulas, one of the most experienced and highly regarded economists in Australia, who spoke on the Economics of Effective and Efficient Regulation, and Mr Donald Hoffman the President/Chief Executive Officer of Excel Services Corporation, who gave a presentation on recent international developments in nuclear regulation.
Among the topics presented by ARPANSA were Cost Recovery, ARPANSA’s Delivery Model, proposed changes to the Regulations, Radiation Incidents and the Australian National Radiation Dose Register. In addition, there were presentations by guest speakers from ANSTO, the Australian Synchrotron and CSIRO.
- ANSTO Nuclear Safety Management (PDF 3.8 mb) – Hefin Griffiths, ANSTO
- Australian National Radiation Dose Register (PDF 1 mb) – Ben Partisky, ARPANSA
- Australian Radiation Incident Register (PDF 1.45 mb) – John Ward, ARPANSA
- Australian Synchrotron (PDF 599 kb) – Dean Morris, Australian Synchrotron
- Changes to Regulations (PDF 200 kb) – Selva Kumar, ARPANSA
- Cost Recovery (PDF 295 kb) – Jack Dillich, ARPANSA
- Delivery Model (PDF 330 kb) – Jack Dillich, ARPANSA
- Lasers: Aren’t Always What They Seem (PDF 619 kb) – Neil Webster, CSIRO
- New application fees and other important changes from 1 July 2015 (PDF 64 kb) – ARPANSA
- Nuclear Regulations – Recent International Developments (PDF 1.87 mb) – Don Hoffman, Excel Services
ARPANSA Licence Holder Forum 2013
The 2013 licence holder forum was hosted by the Australian War Memorial in Canberra on 30 October 2013. There were 44 attendees, representing 13 licence holders.
The CEO of ARPANSA, Dr Carl-Magnus Larsson gave the opening address. There were presentations by ARPANSA on annual licence charges and cost recovery, introduction of the Licence Administration Database, an update on codes and standards, and radiation incident reporting which included workshop activities. A guest speaker from ANSTO gave a presentation on safety culture.
- ARPANSA Licence Charges and Cost Recovery (PDF 96 kb) - Martin Dwyer, ARPANSA
- ARPANSA Licence Administration Database (LAD) (PDF 142 kb) - Diane Harrison, ARPANSA
- Codes & Standards Update (PDF 72 kb) - Alex Kalaiziovski, ARPANSA
- Incident Reporting (PDF 401 kb) - John Ward, ARPANSA
ARPANSA Licence Holder Forum 2012
The 2012 licence holder forum was hosted by ANSTO at the Lucas Heights Science and Technology Centre in Sydney on 19 November 2012. There were 52 attendees, with 12 licence holders represented.
The forum was opened by the CEO of ARPANSA, Dr Carl-Magnus Larsson. Topics included implementation of the Australian National Radiation Dose Register, developments in environment protection, regulation of non-ionising radiation and holistic safety and security. There were presentations by guest speakers from the Supervising Scientist Division and the Department of Defence.
- Operations Services Update (PDF 206 kb) – Jim Scott & Martin Dwyer, ARPANSA
- Australian National Radiation Dose Register (PDF 1,470 kb) – Rick Tinker, ARPANSA
- Protection of the Environment (PDF 783 kb) – Rick Tinker, ARPANSA
- Use of unsealed sources in the environment for ecotoxicology research in uranium
mining (PDF 2,370 kb) – Che Doering, SSD
- Regulation of non-ionising radiation (PDF 1,440 kb) – Claire Lynga, ARPANSA
- Non-ionising radiation apparatus in Defence (PDF 1,050 kb) – Tony Mills-Thom, Kevin Brett & Dave Turnbull, Defence
ARPANSA Licence Holder Forum 2011
The 2011 licence holder forum was hosted by the Department of Defence at Victoria Barracks, Southbank in Melbourne on 29 November 2011. There were 70 attendees, with 15 licence holders represented.
The forum provided an opportunity for licence holders to hear from the CEO of ARPANSA, Dr Carl-Magnus Larsson and to meet the new Head of Operations Services Branch, Martin Dwyer. Among the topics presented by ARPANSA were developments in licensing activities and the new area of holistic safety assessment. In addition, there were presentations by guest speakers from CSIRO and Defence and another by the Principal Consultant from A&K Ross Associates on safety assessment in the aviation, oil, transport and petrochemical industries.
- Radiation Plans & Arrangements in CSIRO (PDF 870 kb) – Angelica Vecchio-Sadus, CSIRO
- Influencing Leadership and Culture for Safety (PDF 1,150 kb) – John Ward, ARPANSA
- Latest Developments in Licensing Activities at ARPANSA (PDF 495 kb) – Jim Scott, ARPANSA
- Safety Management and Risk Assessment in Defence (PDF 232 kb) – Tony Mill-Thom, Defence
NOTE: The presentation ‘Experience in Safety Assessment from the Aviation, Oil, Transport and Petrochemical Industries’ by Alan Ross, A&K Ross Associates Pty Ltd is a large file and available on CD on request.
Post-forum analysis of the past four Licence Holder Forums (2008-2011) is published on the Regulatory Notice Board.Top of Page
ARPANSA Licence Holder Forum 2010
The 2010 licence holder forum was held in Canberra on 17 September 2010. The forum provided an opportunity for the exchange of important information and gave licence holders a chance to meet ARPANSA’s new CEO, Dr Carl-Magnus Larsson. Among the topics presented by ARPANSA were the Australian Radiation Incident Register, Compliance Issues and the Compliance Monitoring Program for 2010-2011. In addition, there were presentations by guest speakers from ASNO, the Australian Federal Police and the South Australian Environment Protection Authority. Following the forum, licence holders completed a survey to rate their satisfaction with the forum itself and ARPANSA’s performance as a regulator.
- CEO Presentation (PDF 321kb) - Dr Carl-Magnus Larsson CEO of ARPANSA
- Australian Radiation Incident Register (PDF 555kb) - Helen Topfer ARPANSA
- Regulation of nuclear material and associated items under the Safeguards Act (PDF 583kb) - Australian Safeguards and Non-Proliferation Office, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Forum Review (PDF 292kb) - ARPANSA
- Compliance Issues 2009 - 2010 (PDF 747kb) - Alex Kalaiziovski ARPANSA
- ARPANSA Compliance Monitoring Programme 2010 - 2011 (PDF 552kb) - Jim Scott ARPANSA
ARPANSA Licence Holder Forum 2009
The 2009 forum was held in Sydney on 29 September 2009. The forum focussed on outcomes of the 2008-2009 inspection program, common compliance issues and changes in the regulation of non-ionising radiation. Presentations from the forum are available below.
- ARPANSA Inspection Program 2008/09 and 09/10 (PDF 944kb) - Jim Scott, ARPANSA
- Common Compliance Issues 2008/09 (659kb) - Alex Kalaiziovski, ARPANSA
- Latest Developments in regulation of non-ionising radiation (326kb) - Gavin Frith, ARPANSA
Note: The documents on this webpage are provided in PDF only. If you have difficulty accessing PDFs, please contact us to arrange an alternate version.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from Adobe's website