- Personal Radiation Monitoring Service
- Equipment Calibration and Testing
- Radioanalytical Services
- Hire of Radiation Meters
- Ultraviolet Radiation (UVR) Services
- UV Data
- Buyer's Guide for Sun Protection
- Radiation Safety Advice and Risk Evaluation
- Australian Clinical Dosimetry Service
- National Diagnostic Reference Level Service
- Australian National Radiation Dose Register
- Radiotherapy Calibrations
For more information please get in touch with ARPANSA
- Phone Number+61 3 9433 2211
- Fax Number+61 3 9432 1835
- email ARPANSA
Film, Glass and Materials Testing
Window films are a popular method of reducing heat, glare and ultraviolet radiation (UVR) for buildings and cars as well as for decorative and security purposes.
A large variety of window films are available and the properties of particular films depend on the intended application.
Different types of glass have different UVR transmission properties. Glass windows typically block out most UVB radiation but the amount of UVA radiation that penetrates through different types of glass can vary greatly.
Transparent Building Materials
Several types of plastics are used to manufacture transparent roofing. Some, but not all, plastics have good UVR blocking properties.
Assessing the Sun Protection Properties of Films
ARPANSA operates a service for measuring the sun protection properties of all types of tansparent films, glass and transparent plastics such as roofing materials. The UVR transmission of the material is measured and a protection factor is also calculated in accordance with the published method, 'UVR Protection offered by Shadecloths and Polycarbonates' published in Radiation Protection in Australia 1995, 13 (2) 50-54. A protection factor indicates how well a product protects human skin from UVR in sunlight. For protection from artificial sources of UVR refer to Assessment of UVR Hazards.
- Film and Materials Testing Request Form - PDF 359 kb || DOC 714 kb
- Schedule of Charges for Film and Materials Testing - PDF 133 kb || DOC 49 kb
- Sample Protection Factor Report - PDF 452 kb
(see a full textual description of the Protection Factor Report)
- Methods of payment - see Payment Methods
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from Adobe's website