- Personal Radiation Monitoring Service
- Equipment Calibration and Testing
- Radioanalytical Services
- Hire of Radiation Meters
- Ultraviolet Radiation (UVR) Services
- UV Data
- Buyer's Guide for Sun Protection
- Radiation Safety Advice and Risk Evaluation
- Australian Clinical Dosimetry Service
- National Diagnostic Reference Level Service
- Australian National Radiation Dose Register
- Radiotherapy Calibrations
For more information please get in touch with ARPANSA
- Phone Number+61 3 9433 2211
- Fax Number+61 3 9432 1835
- email ARPANSA
Sunglasses are a great way to protect your eyes against ultraviolet radiation (UVR) and glare from the sun
Requirements for sunglasses in Australia
Any glasses that claim to be sunglasses or fashion spectacles and are sold for that purpose must comply with the Australian and New Zealand standard, AS/NZS 1067: - Sunglasses and fashion spectacles. This standard applies to uniformly tinted, polarising, photochromic and gradient tinted lenses. Copies of the sunglass standard are available from Standards Australia. The retailer, distributor or importer is responsible for ensuring that sunglasses comply with the standard.
The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC), as part of their Product Safety Australia initiative, summarises the requirements for sunglasses on their webpage Sunglasses & Fashion Spectacles including a downloadable supplier guide. State governments publish sunglass fair trading compliance guidelines, check the relevant fair trading websites for up-to-date information. ARPANSA also publishes a fact sheet on sunglasses and protection from solar UVR.
Sunglass testing at ARPANSA
ARPANSA operates a service for measuring the transmission properties of all types of sunglasses and visors. The UVR and visible transmission of the lenses are measured in accordance with the optical transmittance requirements of Sections 2.1 to 2.3 of AS/NZS 1067: 2003 - Sunglasses and fashion spectacles.
The report includes the lens category and labelling requirements.
Note that sunglasses sent to ARPANSA cannot be returned as the testing procedures require the lenses be removed from the frame, marked and in some cases cut into smaller pieces. Allow up to ten working days for the testing of the lenses.
A sunglass testing request form, schedule of charges and a sample test report are available from the ARPANSA UPF Testing Service on +61 3 9433 2309 or can be downloaded below:
- Sunglass Testing Request Form - PDF 376 kb || DOC 718 kb
- Schedule of Charges for Sunglass Testing - PDF 324 kb || DOC 50 kb
- Sample Sunglass Report - PDF 129 kb
(see a full textual description of the Sunglass Report)
- Methods of payment - see Payment Methods
Send sunglasses samples and a testing request form to:
UPF Testing Service
619 Lower Plenty Road
Yallambie VIC 3085
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from Adobe's website